- _WATCH begin it's quest to find children from low income families by attending the 2010 Martin Luther King Jr. Community Adopt a Family Day at the MLK Jr. Community Center in South Dallas, Texas. WATCH Directors and college intern, Brianna Brown, attended the event. Upon speaking to the audience on the purpose of WATCH, 25 service applications where given to 25 families. From the applicant pool, WATCH was able to qualify 3 out of 32 children that had applied.
In March 2011, WATCH provided it's first eye care services to 5 year old Leah, who has as issues with seeing the chalkboard at school and her grandmother, who she lives with, did not have the funds to take Leah for an eye exam or much less, provide Leah with eyeglasses. WATCH was able to provided Leah with an eye exam and two pair of eye glasses. Her eye exam results indicated she needed reading glasses which was very significant to Leah's growth in the classroom.
THE WATCH FOUNDATION SERVICES ALSO INCLUDE:
- Health screenings that include, vision, dental and hearing with follow-up referrals as needed.
- Tutoring / Literacy programs
- School supplies and uniform assistance
- After-School programs
- Summer Camp
- College Prep Assistance
- Family Counseling for both Parents & Students
- Public Safety Awareness